- This event has passed.
Daring Cities 2020 Opening, Session 2
7 October @ 18:00 - 19:45 UTC+2
Session recording coming soon.
ICLEI Secretary General will introduce the concept of multilevel dialogues on Know-Act-Lead as the Daring Cities approach. A panel of local leaders together with executives of Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), the UN Environment, the UN Habitat will then discuss the critical importance of knowing more, acting better, and daring to lead in tackling the climate crisis.
The second panel will kick-off with the keynote address by Aromar Revi focusing on the importance of current and upcoming reports and processes under the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to ensure effective synergies between sustainable urban development and climate emergency. Dr. Xiamoeng will be invited to comment on the mechanisms to enhance the capacity of the research community to respond such challenges. Representatives of civil society will then highlight how innovative models and approaches of citizen engagement can support political leaders and administrations to adopt and deliver ambitious commitments in addressing climate emergency.
The Opening Plenary will be concluded by Daring Cities host Ashok Sridharan.
Multilevel Dialogues on Daring Cities
- Gino Van Begin, Secretary General, ICLEI
- Anne Larigauderie, Executive Secretary, Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
- Lisa Helps, Mayor, City of Victoria, Canada
- Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations; Executive Director, United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
- Geraldo Júlio, Mayor, City of Recife, Brazil
- Inger Andersen, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations; Executive Director, United Nations Environment Program (UN Environment)
- Simon Richardson, Mayor, Byron Shire Council, Australia
Stakeholders dialogue on climate emergency
- Yunus Arikan, Director of Global Advocacy, ICLEI
Keynote address on science-based action
- Aromar Revi, Director of the Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS); Lead Author, 1.5°C Special Report (SR15) and 6th Assessment Synthesis Report (AR6) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Response: Dr. Shen Xiaomeng, Director, United Nations University Insititute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
- Heeta Lakhani, YOUNGO Global Focal Point 2020
- Rebecca Foon, PathwaytoParis
- Ashok Sridharan, Mayor, City of Bonn, Germany; President, ICLEI