Daring Cities 2020 Opening, Session 2
7 October @ 18:00 - 19:30 UTC+2
UNFCCC COP26 President-Delegate Alok Sharma will open the session highlighting the key issues on the table for the international climate discussions, emphasizing the important role that local and regional governments have in helping to raise the level of ambition being set by the national governments through proven, on-the-ground action.
A panel of local leaders together with UN executives will discuss the critical importance of knowing more, acting better, and daring to lead in tackling the climate crisis.
A keynote address will focus on the importance of daring leadership and informed policy making to drive forward the ambitious climate action needed to keep the planet within the 1.5 degree threshold, with a response provided by a dialogue among youth representatives, discussing the level of climate ambition being pursued by current global leaders and the impact this has for current and future generations.
Daring Cities host and Mayor of Bonn Ashok Sridharan will conclude the day by providing an outlook towards the sessions and events to follow in the next three weeks of Daring Cities 2020.
Master of Ceremony
- Gino Van Begin, Secretary General, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
- Alok Sharma, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Government of the United Kingdom; UK COP26 President-Designate (video message)
Multilevel Dialogues on Daring Cities
- Anne Larigauderie, Executive Secretary, Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
- Lisa Helps, Mayor, City of Victoria, Canada
- Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations; Executive Director, United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
- Geraldo Júlio, Mayor, City of Recife, Brazil
- Inger Andersen, Under-Secretary-General, United Nations; Executive Director, United Nations Environment Program (UN Environment)
- Susan Rennie, Mayor, City of Darebin, Australia
Dialogue with Youth
- Ashok Sridharan, Mayor, City of Bonn, Germany; President, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability