Daring Cities 2020 Opening: Session 1
7 October @ 16:00 - 17:30 UTC+2
Ashok Sridharan, Mayor of Bonn and President of ICLEI, together with Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary of the United Nations Climate Change Secretariat, will welcome participants to Daring Cities 2020 and highlight the need and intention for this virtual forum.
Special addresses from the United Nations Secretary-General, the Executive Secretary of United Nations Climate Change and German federal representatives will create underscore the criticality of this moment for decisive multilevel action in response to the climate emergency.
An interactive dialogue among local, regional and national leaders will address efforts and specific challenges being faced by all levels of government. They will emphasize the critical role that cities, towns and regions play in regards to the climate emergency, both in being on the frontlines, as well as being active parts and co-creators of the innovative solutions needed. They will also pay special attention to the need to embrace different contexts, conditions and multilevel governance structures in tackling the climate crisis.
Aromar Revi, Director of the Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) and Lead Author of the 1.5oC Special Report (SR15) and 6th Assessment Synthesis Report (AR6) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), will discuss the importance of cutting-edge knowledge and data for enabling effective climate action and policy-making.
The session will conclude with a keynote address reminding us all not only what is at stake at this critical moment, but also how much we are able to achieve when we work together and support each other in realizing our joint goals.
- Ashok Sridharan, Mayor, City of Bonn, Germany; President, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary, United Nations Climate Change Secretariat (UNFCCC)
- António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General
- Svenja Schulze, Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany
- Norbert Barthle, Parliamentary Secretary of State, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
Dialogue on Multilevel Action to Tackle the Climate Emergency across Contexts
- Carolina Urrutia, Environment Secretary, City of Bogotá, Colombia
- Vincent Kanjaya. Mayor, City of Entebbe, Uganda
- Marcos Penido, Secretary for Infrastructure and Environment, State of São Paulo, Brazil
- Aromar Revi, Director of the Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS); Lead Author, 1.5oC Special Report (SR15) and 6th Assessment Synthesis Report (AR6) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Armin Laschet, Minister President, State of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), Germany