- This event has passed.
Financing Climate Compatible Development
13 October @ 09:30 - 11:00 UTC+2
The lockdowns in response to the COVID-19 pandemic unveiled the deep vulnerabilities and unpreparedness of the urban system, healthcare and economy to absorb sudden shocks. As the cities begin to unlock and plan for post-pandemic recovery, it’s a wake-up call for our social and financial systems to be better prepared for the long-term climate crisis. There is a need to focus on the climate agenda, even in the midst of the pandemic, so that investments can be routed toward sustainable infrastructure, green jobs, and environmental resilience.
Innovative financing mechanisms will be needed to meet the large investment needs of a transformative green recovery. Policy makers and decision-makers have an important role to play in orchestrating a recovery that addresses the current crisis, while building a strong foundation to tackle climate change. The Global Commission on Adaptation has estimated that investing $1.8 trillion globally from 2020 to 2030 in resilience-building measures could generate $7.1 trillion in total new benefits.
Attendees will hear best practices to accelerate sustainable and green recovery including various opportunities that can be leveraged to build resilience at the local level to deliver national climate commitments and long-term climate strategies as well as ways to strengthen adaptation and resilience to future shocks.
Attendees will gain an understanding of:
- Opportunities for sustainable and greener recovery to prepare for the long term sustainability, resource access and climate impact solutions
- The role of urban good governance mechanisms to kick-start sustainable recovery
- Peer-learning from cities on governance and finances to accelerate sustainable and greener recovery
- Joanne Manda, Regional Advisor, Climate Change & Innovative Finance, UNDP
- Fazle Rabbi Sadeque Ahmed, Director: Environment and climate change, Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF)
- Ronald Mukanya, Sustainability Management, Western Cape Government
- Yolando Velasco. Manager: Climate Finance – Means of implementation division, UNFCCC Secretariat
The session is hosted by the Climate Development and Knowledge Network (CDKN) and ICLEI South Asia. CDKN has been led by South Africa-based SouthSouthNorth (SSN), working closely with its partners Fundación Futuro Latinoamericano (FFLA), ICLEI South Asia as well as the Overseas Development Institute (ODI).
CDKN’s core funders are Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Royal Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS).