- This event has passed.
100% Renewable Energy Roadmaps – Contributing to the Global Energy Transition
13 October @ 13:00 - 14:30 UTC+2
In order to view the recording, you must register for an account on Daringcities.org or log in.
The Paris Agreement aims for global climate neutrality in the second half of the century to limit the global temperature increase to 1.5 °Celsius adapt to the changing climate and access the necessary finance. It is widely recognized that committed national governments cannot achieve these objectives alone. In the meantime, subnational governments are increasingly committing to climate neutrality, net-zero carbon emissions and a 100% renewable energy (RE) for their territories. However, the development of necessary roadmaps outlining how to achieve these targets is lagging behind.
According to the International Energy Agency, energy accounts for over two-thirds of global greenhouse gas emissions. This can be drastically reduced through the renewable energy transition. To become a climate neutral or net-zero carbon city/region, the necessary energy strategies should address all sectors. Here 100% renewables coupled with energy efficiency and energy conservation measures represent a central element of local climate action, with global impacts.
A 100% Renewable Energy roadmap is a strategic plan defined to achieve this energy transition goal, and includes main steps and major milestones. Building a renewable future requires an understanding of (local) renewable energy resources, and the creation of coordinated enabling frameworks and policies, both vertically and horizontally. This means the need for a collaborative effort among key stakeholders, alignment to national strategies and targets, such as the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC). The wide-range of co-benefits linked to RE roll-out also supports the implementation of all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This informative and interactive session will showcase subnational leadership, sharing experiences from committed cities and counties that aim for achieving climate neutrality through their 100% Renewable Energy Roadmaps. Key steps in the Roadmaps will be explained, exploring how to prioritize actions in the transition to 100% renewables and available support addressing subnational governments. This session also addresses the process of planning, zooming in on how local governments are developing their 100% Renewables Roadmaps.
- Attendees learn about approaches taken by local governments in effectively embracing the energy transition, from setting 100% RE targets to planning the shift from low to zero carbon development.
- Participants gain insights into key steps in the development of 100% RE Roadmaps, based on shared experiences from leading cities/counties and other experts.
- Showcasing progress made in the 100% Renewables: Cities and Regions Roadmap Project funded by the German International Climate Initiative.
- Gain an insight into the Global 100% RE Cities & Regions Network and available support for local and regional governments.
- Maryke van Staden, Manager of the Low Emission Development Pathway Director of ICLEI’s carbonn Center
- Vera Rodenhoff, Head of Division International Cooperation on Environment, Energy and Cities German Federal Ministry of Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
- Jonas Kamleh, Strategist at City of Malmö, Malmö City
- Christopher Castro, Director of the Office of Sustainability and Resilience, City of Orlando
- Festus K. Ng’eno, Chairman – Council of Governors Water, Forestry & Mining CECs, County Government of Nakuru
- Dionisio Scarpin, Mayor, City of Avellaneda
- Lalu Adi Gunawan, Head of Regional Planning Sub Division, Regional Development Planning Agency (BAPPEDA) of West Nusa Tenggara Province