- This event has passed.
@BonnGlobal: Community Energy – People Power
15 October @ 08:00 - 08:45 UTC+2
@BonnGlobal host: World Wind Energy Association
Any ambitious climate action plan must put clean energy supply at its center by defining the complete switch to 100% renewable energy in all sectors in a specific timeframe. As this renewable energy supply goes hand in hand with the decentralization of the energy system (local generation and use), local governments and citizens have a key role to play in the successful transformation process. In many countries, locally owned and managed renewable energy systems, also known as community energy, have become a pillar of the new energy system. These bring not only (access to) energy but also a host of related benefits to the respective communities – from job creation to circular economy.
This session will explore:
- How to maximize the role of community energy in order to unfold the benefits of local renewable energy
- How citizens, community energy organizations and local governments can work together to achieve these goals
- Stefan Gsänger, Secretary General, World Wind Energy Association (WWEA): What is community energy?
- Taryn Lane, Hepburn Wind, Australia: A community wind farm in Australia
- Thomas Zwingmann, BürgerEnergie Rhein-Sieg, Germany: A German renewable energy cooperative
- Facilitator: Rian van Staden, 100% Renewables