- This event has passed.
Countdown: Global Launch
10 October @ 17:00 - 22:00 UTC+2
To make progress on climate action we need to collaborate on a global scale – and your community has an important role to play. On 10.10.2020, Countdown launched globally with a virtual event, reaching over 15 million viewers.
Countdown is a global initiative by TED and partners to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis, turning ideas into action. The goal: To build a better future by cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 in the race to a zero-carbon world – a world that is safer, cleaner and fairer for everyone.
Over five curated sessions the event will combined TED’s signature blend of actionable and research-backed ideas, cutting-edge science, and moments of wonder and inspiration.
SESSION 1: Climate — Where we are and why we need to act
- Countdown: Here’s what it is and why we are doing it
- Climate science and the climate crisis: Where are we today?
- The Race to Zero: What do we need to do and when?
SESSION 2: The path to resilient, regenerative economies
- Putting climate back on the political and social agenda
- A safer, cleaner, fairer future for people and the planet
- What businesses can do — and are doing — to transform and transition
SESSION 3: The future of energy, transportation and materials
- How rapidly can we switch to 100% clean power?
- How can we upgrade the way that we move people and things?
- How can we reimagine and remake the stuff around us?
SESSION 4: Fairness, food and nature
- Why climate justice matters
- How can we spark a worldwide shift to healthier food systems?
- How do we better protect and re-green the earth?
SESSION 5: What’s your role?
- Thinking long-term about climate change
- Getting involved, staying inspired and rallying others to take part
- Stepping up at work and at home