- This event has passed.
Driving the Green Recovery and Redesign: Embedding Local Climate Action at the Heart of Economic Stimulus Packages – Session 1
21 October 2020 @ 10:00 - 11:30 UTC+2
Watch on YouTube
Led by the Ministry of the Environment Japan, supported by the UNFCCC, and managed by the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), the Redesign2020 Platform was launched on 3 September 2020 through a high level virtual event that gathered 50+ ministers across the world.
The Platform for Redesign 2020 is an initiative to enhance international solidarity in addressing two crises at the same time: climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic.
The initiative introduces the concept of “redesign” as complementary to response and recovery efforts, defining it as, “paradigm shifts and measures in the long term – more than a few years to a few decades – toward redesigning current socioeconomic and sociocultural systems to be sustainable and resilient.“
The Redesign2020 Online Platform aims to capture information of measures taken by national governments on response, recovery, redesign with a focus on Mitigation, Adaptation, Cross-cutting, Other Environmental, International Cooperation. As of 3 September, more than 60+ countries uploaded initiatives. ICLEI leaders, Hayashi Fukimo, Mayor of Yokohama on behalf of ICLEI Japan, and Kobie Brand, Regional Director of ICLEI Africa also joined the event with live and prerecorded message to convey ICLEI´s support to the Redesign2020 initiative.
The session aims to highlight details of the concept, share the outcomes of High Level Launch and focus on the options for collaboration with local and regional on the road to COP26.
Master of Ceremony
- Kobie Brand, Regional Director, ICLEI Africa
Welcome on behalf of ICLEI
- Stephany Uy Tan, Councillor, Catbalogan, Philippines; ICLEI Vice President
Special Address on “Redesign”
- H.E. Koizumi Shinjiro, Minister of Environment of Japan
Remarks from the UNFCCC
- Message from Patricia Espinosa, the Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change to Daring Cities 2020, introduced by Niclas Svenningsen Manager, Global Climate Action, UNFCCC Secretariat
Response from National Authorities
- Faustin MUNYAZIKWIYE, Deputy Director General, Rwanda Environment Management Authority, Rwanda
- Prof. Takeuchi Kazuhiko, Chair of the Central Environmental Council, Government of Japan and President of Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
Expert Response: Addressing informality and urban poor in climate emergency and COVID-19 recovery
David Dodman, Director, Human Settlements, International Institute for Environment and Development; Author of 6th Assessment Synthesis Report (AR6) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Moderator: Emilia Saiz, Secretary General, United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG)
- Hayashi Fumiko, Mayor, City of Yokohama, Japan
- Kwon Min, Director General, Seoul Metropolitan Government, Republic of Korea
- Mohamed Sefiani, Mayor, Chefchaouen, Morocco
- Tunc Soyer, Mayor, Izmir Metropolitan Government, Turkey
- Abigail Binay, Mayor, Makati City, Philippines
- Mahadi Che Ngah, Mayor, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia