TEDxDARINGCITIES: Daring to Go Climate Neutral – Session 2
14 October @ 17:00 - 18:30 UTC+2
The session will open with a special address showcasing the unparalleled vision of the Government of Dominica to become the world’s first Climate Resilient nation. Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and Head of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR), will provide a response to the special address, further contextualizing the bold leadership of the Government of Dominica in the framework of global climate resilience and disaster risk reduction, and highlighting what other governments can learn from this example.
A panel of daring urban leaders who are each pursuing the ambitious goal of climate neutrality will then present and discuss the leading work their cities are undertaking to realize this ambitious target. In showcasing their work, the panelists will also aim to inspire fellow urban leaders to join them in the commitment to climate neutrality, and highlight that while the task of achieving such a target may be daunting, it is both possible and urgently needed.
The COUNTDOWN global initiative will then illustrate what a healthy, abundant, zero-emission future can look like, presenting both stirring examples of real progress underway around the world, as well as powerful reasons why this post-crisis moment is the time to act.
Chilean High Level Climate Action Champion Gonzalo Muñoz will then address the criticality of ambitious climate action, and together with the Mayor of the City of Glasgow, discuss the key role of cities, towns and regions in not only setting ambitious climate targets, but in implementing and accelerating bold climate action worldwide.
Master of Ceremony
- Gino Van Begin, Secretary General, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
Special address: Becoming the world’s first climate resilient nation
- H.E. Roosevelt Skerrit, Prime Minister, Government of Dominica (invited)
- Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction; Head, United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
Daring Cities panel
- ICLEI commitment: Daring to go Climate Neutral (video)
- Minna Arve, Mayor, City of Turku, Finland
- Dolly Govendor, Acting Mayor, KwaDukuza Municipality, South Africa
- Nasry Asfura, Mayor, Tegucigalpa, Municipio del Distrito Central, Honduras; President of CC35 – Latin American Capital Cities Network
- COUNTDOWN film
- Gonzalo Muñoz, Chile’s High-Level Climate Action Champion
- Susan Aitken, Mayor, City of Glasgow, United Kingdom; Host City of UNFCCC COP26