The session opens with a special address showcasing the unparalleled vision of the Government of Dominica to become the world’s first Climate Resilient nation. Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and Head of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR), provides a response to the special address, further contextualizing the bold leadership of the Government of Dominica in the framework of global climate resilience and disaster risk reduction, and highlighting what other governments can learn from this example.
A panel of daring urban leaders, who are each pursuing the ambitious goal of climate neutrality, then present and discuss the leading work their cities are undertaking to realize this ambitious target. In showcasing their work, the panelists also aim to inspire fellow urban leaders to join them in the commitment to climate neutrality, and highlight that while the task of achieving such a target may be daunting, it is both possible and urgently needed.
Chilean High Level Climate Action Champion, Gonzalo Muñoz, then addresses the criticality of ambitious climate action, and together with the Mayor of the City of Glasgow, discusses the key role of cities, towns and regions in not only setting ambitious climate targets, but also in implementing and accelerating bold climate action worldwide.
A compilation of speakers from the Countdown global initiative then illustrates what a healthy, abundant, zero-emission future can look like, presenting both stirring examples of real progress underway around the world, as well as powerful reasons why this post-crisis moment is time to act.
Master of Ceremony:
- Gino Van Begin, Secretary General, ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
Special address: Dominica daring to be the world’s first climate resilient nation
- H.E. Ambassador Francine Baron, Dominica; Interim CEO of the Climate Resilience Execution Agency of Dominica (CREAD)
- Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction; Head, United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction
Daring Cities panel:
- Daniel Zarilli, Chief Climate Policy Advisor and OneNYC Director, NYC Office of the Mayor, USA
- Minna Arve, Mayor, City of Turku, Finland
- Dolly Govender, Acting Mayor, KwaDukuza Municipality, South Africa
- Nasry Asfura, Mayor, Tegucigalpa, Municipio del Distrito Central, Honduras; President of CC35 – Latin American Capital Cities Network
- Maryke van Staden, Director, Bonn Center for Local Climate Action and Reporting – the carbonn Climate Center, on ICLEI´s commitment: Daring to Go Climate Neutral
Dialogue on Ambition and Leadership:
- Gonzalo Muñoz, Chile’s High-Level Climate Action Champion
- Susan Aitken, Mayor, City of Glasgow, United Kingdom; Host City of UNFCCC COP26
Countdown film (25 minutes):
- Including Al Gore with activists Gloria Kasang Bulus, Nana Firman, Ximena Loria, Tim Guinee; Angel Hsu and Christiana Figueres.