One of the main bottlenecks identified why local governments continue to be unable to access climate finance is the limited knowledge about the needs and requirements of funders. Furthermore, they rarely have the opportunity to engage with them directly. In a similar way, financial institutions and investors encounter difficulties in identifying bankable projects from sub-national governments and have limited exposure to the wide range of projects that cities have.
This pitch, with a focus on Africa and Asia, aims to (i) contribute to a better understanding of financing opportunities (ii) give tips and tricks of project pitching, as well as (iii) enable the space for selected projects to test their pitch and concept.
The session also intends to contribute to reach the ambitious goals of the LUCI initiative through participants receiving first-hand information about project preparation and financing opportunities of the various LUCI and TAP partners.
About the Transformative Action Program
First launched in 2015 the Transformative Actions Program (TAP) led by ICLEI, and supported by its 15 partners aims to catalyze and improve capital flows to cities, towns, and regions through strengthening their capacity to access climate finance and attract investment.
Projects are submitted through annual calls, and then screened by ICLEI World Secretariat. Those that show high transformative potential become part of the project pipeline and are invited to marketplaces to pitch their concepts to financial institutions, Project Preparation Facility Providers and private investors.
Acknowledging that local and regional governments need support for project preparation, TAP offers capacity building services, such as webinars, peer exchange workshops, access to tools and knowledge products to all applicants with the goal to enable them to develop robust low carbon and climate resilient local projects.
- Idan Sasson, Project Coordinator, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI)
- Giulia Macagno, Head of the City Climate Finance Gap Fund Technical Secretariat, European Investment Bank
- Augustin Maria, Senior Urban Specialist, The World Bank / Gap Fund
- Serge Allou, Technical Advisor, UCLG / IMIF
- David Albertani, Program Director, R20 – Regions of Climate Action / SnCF
- Jean-François Habeau, Executive Director, FMDV
- Arne Janssen, Urban Environment Specialist, Cities Alliance
- David Albertani, R20 – Regions of Climate Action / SnCF
- Andy Deacon, Acting Managing Director, Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (GCoM)
- Esther Wegner, City Coordinator, C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF)
- Eszter Mogyorósy, Head of Innovative Finance, ICLEI World Secretariat
- Carolin König, GIZ
- Pablo Nunez, Director, Investor Relations, GIB