Getting money to where it’s needed: Digital finance and just transitions (Session I)
This is the first session in our two-part installment on leveraging digital finance for just and equitable climate action. Digital finance presents a unique opportunity to bridge the urban climate finance gap, promote transparency, and ensure equitable resource distribution. In this era of innovative funding mechanisms, digital tools like Digital Measurement, Reporting, and Verification (Digital MRV), which uses digital tools such as remote sensing, blockchain, AI, and IoT to measure, report, and verify greenhouse gas emissions using digital technologies, are enhancing the bankability of climate action projects, for example, through ensuring accountability in the generation and trading of carbon credits. They enable risk assessment, transparency, accountability, and verification of results, instilling confidence in investors and financiers and attracting increased funding for climate projects, as well as enabling more accurate and timely data on the environmental and social benefits of mitigation activities. Furthermore, technologies such as AI-driven data aggregation hold immense potential in shaping cities’ and regions’ climate strategies and improving their access to finance.
In this session, we have gathered experts to discuss cutting-edge approaches and tools that can empower cities to access finance to initiate and scale up greentech solutions for climate action.
This event will be held in English.
Facilitator & speakers:
- Bénédicte Nolens, Head of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) Innovation Hub Hong Kong Centre, Hong Kong
- Martin Wainstein, Executive Director, Open Earth Foundation, USA
- Michael Sheren, President & Chief Strategy Officer, MVGX, London, England
- Miroslav Polzer, Founder & CEO of the International Association for the Advancement of Innovative Approaches to Global Challenges (IAAI), Austria
- Pourya Salehi, Head of Urban Research, Innovation, and Development Team, ICLEI World Secretariat, Bonn, Germany