Each October, those interested in sustainable urbanization from national and local governments to universities, NGOs, and communities are encouraged to hold or participate in a multitude of activities around the globe as a part of Urban October. It is an opportunity for everyone to be part of the conversation about the challenges and opportunities created by the fast rate of change in our cities and towns and thus offers a rich agenda in the urban sustainability space.
In 2023, the month began with World Habitat Day on 2 October 2023, this year focusing on “Resilient urban economies. Cities as drivers of growth and recovery”. Urban October is a chance to bring the Daring Cities message to the world stage. With COP28 only starting at the end of November this year, we will also be disseminating the Daring Cities key messages throughout events in November. From the G7 roundtable to the Asia Pacific regional climate week, we are developing opportunities to connect the outcomes of Daring Cities to the rest of the world. Read the outcomes here.
RELEVANT EVENTS DURING URBAN OCTOBER 2023 AND NOVEMBER
As of 5 October 2023 (more information will follow soon)
- 5 – 6 October: G7 roundtable on subnational climate action with U7
- 5 – 6 October: High-level policy dialogue of Malaga global coalition for municipal finance
- 8 – 9 October: Regional Climate Week Middle East and North Africa
- 9 – 12 October: European Week of Regions and Cities
- 12 – 14 October: UNFCCC Global Stocktake Outcomes workshop
- 17 – 19 October: Amazon Regional ICLEI Meeting
- 23 – 25 October: Asia Pacific Urban Forum
- 23 – 28 October: Regional Climate Week Latin America and Caribbean
- 28 October: EU Stocktake
- 31 October: Pre-COP
- 13 -19 November: Plastic Treaty INC-3
- 13 – 15 November: Asia-Pacific Regional Climate Week